Saturday, October 4, 2008

Wise words from a wise friend...

So I just happen to know some of the most incredible people in the world...very wise, talented, funny, kind, sarcastic, straight-forward, broken, humble...well I could keep going but I think you get the point. =) One of my friends has this song, um not sure the title but she sent it to me and these lyrics have resonated with ever since I heard first heard them. Here they are:

"You are the only place where I can fall to pieces still know I am whole. You are the only place where I know I am not on my own. I am found in Your Love."

My brain is starting to fade so I'm not sure how articulate I'm going to be but here we go. First of all, well, the lyrics are just true. Our whollyness is found in the Triune God. Also safety is found with the Triune God. I think, and I apply this to myself at times, that sometimes the Lord isn't thought of as being safe. And He is and He isn't. I mean God isn't tame, and you never know what He has in store, but He is safe. Scripture often talks about how the Lord fights for us, that we can take shelter under His wings, hiding in His shadow. Also in the Psalms it says God does not despise a broken heart. I know that at times I think if I "fall to pieces" then I must be doing something wrong, or that something is lacking in me, but that is not the case. And I know that's not true b/c some of the times I've felt the most "whole" are the times I've been the most broken. This is what also resonates with me, is that this verse of a song in some ways summarizes my role as a counselor. Alot of what happens in my office (and in my practicum experiences) is having someone who is hurting deeply on the inside and is afraid to fall to pieces. Part of my job, I feel like, is to get those walls to fall down and have them "fall to pieces" so to speak. But also to put the pieces back together in a healthy, wholly way. Granted I can only do this through the grace and power of the Holy Spirit, and unless they have the Holy Spirit there's going to be something missing. And another role as a counselor is to let my clients know that they are not alone!!!! They do not have to go through life alone and try to figure all this confusing, messy stuff out on their own. So it's just humbling, so very humbling, to see how I get to be like Jesus to my clients. That I can be that safe person. That I can let them know they aren't alone. And for my clients that are believers I can educate them about and encourage them in the One who makes all things new.

I could go on and on forever about how much I love my job and love being a counselor. I still have alot to learn about being a counselor...I still get stuck at times and need help...especially in the family therapy area...but it fulfills something in me or for me. And I"m content. I can't imagine having a job I wasn't passionate about...well having a career I wasn't passionate about. I mean there are parts of my job that I don't like...like paper work...but it's worth it. I have a consultation meeting on Thursday that, honestly, I didn't think I would like, but I love it. b/c I get to talk about my residents and I get help with what to do when I'm stuck.

Okay that's all I have for now. I love typing, it's quite therapeutic for me...

Grace peace and love

No comments: